11 March 2008

Chris




A seminar downtown had just finished and I was on my cell with Bernie.... the wind's on, let's go. We didn't have to say it, we knew what it was about. It was the eve of Chris' birthday and it might be the last fly-able day for ten days.

Bernie and I sped out to Müller hill to find light buoyant air and a spectacular sky. We flew into the dimness of the sun setting over the Canadian Rockies.

I thought a lot about Chris, about all I learned from him, about how he was a better friend to me than I to him, but mostly all the fun we had. It has been three years since his accident and now thinking of him makes me feel more happy than sad. So happy about the goodtimes I just can't feel sad about the sadtimes.



The day before: Chris Müller, Brett, Curt Warren

This is the chorus from one of the songs (Kyprios) played at Chris' celebration:

Every life, first the sun then the night falls
We're all on borrowed time, I'll never say goodbye
Take your time, live your life like it's last call
Don't wanna see you cry, we'll never say goodbye....




There is always a road in front of us; we can choose to stand still or keep moving. The distance is just out of sight and who knows what we'll find there. Maybe danger, maybe something we've been waiting to find. We might search our whole lives, only to find nothing. But in that beautiful flux we will find ourselves, our lives and our purpose. All the unknown down the road isn't so dangerous. The most risk lies in the stand-still, the clinging, the fear of losing something, the fear of change. Go.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brett -
    Thought provoking post. The best way to honor the loved-ones who are gone is to live more fully and joyfully because we have the opportunity to. A concept I know you get, but your post brought it to mind. Chris' influence still lingers with me.
    Cheers,
    OB

    ReplyDelete