17 June 2011

Ozone Mantra R11




A chilled down tempo meditative evening of ridge soaring, thermaling, and proximity flying at Muller Windsports.


My R11 looks somewhat different to my R10.2 and feels somewhat different to my R10.2 and yet there is a definite familiarity present.

The glider feels a little heavier to pull up in light wind, heavier but not harder. When launching in strong winds it feels more or less the same as my R10.2 but I seem to get it right more often.

The handling is awesome. More or less in the same category as the R10.2, but slightly better. Less hesitation to initiate a turn.

Comfort in rough air feels about the same as the R10.2, probably slightly better.

Speed builds up very quickly with bar and the glider feels great. This is the most exciting thing about the glider, for me.

I put new B handles on that are shorter and have a wider flare and hook them with my first two fingers.

The R11 doesn't spin very well. I tried twice to do a spin landing and all I got was a 180 deg rotation. It would take so long for the inside wing to stall that by then I had mushed down to the ground and the was no time for a full rotation of the glider.

Something that stands out is the unique sound that the glider makes at high speed. There's something different in the pitch of the high speed whine. It is the most beautiful glider I have flown, as viewed from the harness.

A non-pilot spectator at launch walked over to me after I top landed and she said.. That thing looks like a shark!

No comments:

Post a Comment