29 September 2005

3 Days Later

The gliders needed more time than expected to prepare, mostly because the frames for the sail replacements needed a lot of work.

But we did hit the road, and of course, right in the middle of Rio rush-hour traffic. The 3 hour drive into the mountains, Serra da Mantiqueira, took 6 hours. Stayed at a friend´s hotel overnight, Casa Alpina. Was cool up in the mountains, but 2 blankets made for a cozy sleep.

Reached Andradas around 3pm the following day, and we drove straight up the hill. What a beautiful site, with a grass North and South launch, and facilities.

The North launch faces a higher plateau so only has 250m vertical, the South side has heaps of height. It was a North launch day, and standing at edge of the hill, the LZ sure looked close. Some paragliders were sitting around on launch, not looking too inspired, but I decided to give it a go. The air was so smooth as I launched, that I couldn´t help but drag my fingers through the golf course like groomed grass... gotta stop doing that.

Light air but do-able. The plan was to land at a polo club owned by a pilot, about 70km away. I was way late getting to launch so it was looking too late to make the 70km before the 5pm deadline. Apparently it´s difficult to stay in the air past 5pm.

A few 2.5m/s (5min average) thermals along the way but the rest were 1m/s. It has rained for the last couple days so that might explain the softness; the forecast is good, though.

Didnt´t have the chance to fly with anybody today, but the many urubus (vultures) bailed me out every so often.

Of course I got low a couple of times, and it took a second try on my final glide to get it right. The numbers fell apart but then a slow climb-out over a 100m hill with some urubus brought me back to the glide line.

Was way cool to come in diving at a polo field. As I approached I could see there was a really nice pool, and someone practicing. More nice grass to breakdown on, and my glider is down with that.

This flight put me in a good mood and since my glider is flying just nice... all is cool in Brett town.

Just caught up with Betinho and met his little boy... too cute.

Dina time.

2 comments:

  1. This whole Brett-having-a-blog thing is really working out well for me. It's great reading about your adventures.

    -Mette

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeap Brett..mette is indeed right..
    Mette, wonton noodle for you?

    ReplyDelete